Mikki Taylor: You Can Keep Your Makeover
This week we’re continuing the You Deserve More series in acknowledgment of Women’s Equal Pay Day. Each year, I lead thousands of women through 20 principles that help them use their God-given gifts to earn more money. (Learn more at iwillearnmore.com)
Today, I see so many people doing things just for the attention.
Women dress the part they think others want to see. They do the make over to try and make everyone else happy.
How many times have you seen Instagram posts of someone getting all dolled up, but they had nowhere to go?
When you really connect with these people, they are empty. They are uncomfortable, and in the end people just walk all over them.
You need to be you.
Be unapologetically you.
Wear the things you want to wear, not what you think you should wear. If you like bright colors, wear it with pride.
Having that confidence to be true to yourself will show the world you respect yourself. Then, when they see that they will show you more respect.
Whether we like it or not, people judge from a first glance. If they look at you as someone who tries to please everyone they know they can walk all over you.
If they look at you and see the only person you are trying to please is yourself, they’ll want to please you as well.
For this episode of the Redefining Wealth Podcast I brought on a truly wonderful expert who knows about proving your value through your actions and your wardrobe: Mikki Taylor.
Mikki is a popular writer, motivational speaker and TV personality. She’s known as the country’s leading authority on beauty and style for women-of-color.
She’s also a media veteran for more than three decades. Mikki is Editor-at-Large at ESSENCE Magazine, and the president of Mikki Taylor Enterprises, LLC, a strategic branding, consulting and communications company.
She took the time to discuss powerful knowledge from her new book, Editor in Chic. Be ready for this one, because she throws out so much wisdom you’ll need to listen to this episode multiple times.
Download this episode today to learn how you can stay true to yourself and be treated the way you deserve.“Why live in the shadow of who you are meant to be when you can be the real thing?” - @IAmMikkiTaylor Click To Tweet
The Cliff Notes:
- Stop living the dress rehearsal life.
- You have to acknowledge everything you bring to the table.
- Address people by their name.
- Use manners and say please and thank you.
- Technology has changed our language.
- How will we teach if we don’t demonstrate our values?
- You antenna should go up when you’ve been asked to compromise who you are.
- If you don’t own it, you have to practice it.
- Real change always stems from within
- When people hate on us, it’s a plea for help.
- Faith is nothing if it’s not defining your life.
- You don’t want to just go through, you want to grow through.
- Queens don’t belong on well-being welfare.
- You have the choice to treat your body like a temple or a trailer park.
- You don’t need anyone to tell you what you need – listen within.
- When you don’t take care of yourself, you’re teaching people how to treat you.
- Have an unapologetic view of who you are.a
- Dress to entertain yourself and not the world at large.
Editor in Chic by Mikki Taylor