Anthony ONeal: The New American Dream
When it comes to student loans, I bet you either have them, have paid them off or you know somebody who has them. And I’ve got to ask, whatever your experience is with them, do you think that taking on debt to pay for an education is a smart move? Or is there a better way?
According to Anthony ONeal, there is. Anthony, bestselling author of Debt-Free Degree, The Graduate Survival Guide and Destroy Your Student Loan Debt, believes we should be able to go to college, get an education, AND graduate 100% debt free.
As Anthony covers in this episode, the average person graduates college with about $35,000 in student loan debt. Twelve years after they graduate, the average person still owes 65%, and in the African American and minority communities, that number is 113%.
These numbers are shocking and yet they lead to an even bigger question. How can someone pay off a substantial amount of debt like this when they’re struggling already to make ends meet?
Join us as Anthony breaks down the steps you can take now to get a handle on your debt and get it paid off sooner.
This episode is brought to you by our complimentary Purpose Chasers community. Want to share your aha moments with a group of like-minded purpose chasers from all over the world? Visit iamapurposechaser.com and join NOW.
Debt-Free Degree Takeaways
- The American dream for the average graduate is not to start a family or buy a home, it’s to get a job and pay off their student loans. – Anthony ONeal
- We make mistakes because we lack knowledge – we go into debt for the same reason. – Anthony ONeal
- When you have a vision of where you want to go in life, the journey becomes a lot easier. – Anthony ONeal
- You can’t get out of debt if you keep putting yourself into debt. – Anthony ONeal
- Why is it that young 20-year-olds have a mortgage payment but don’t own any real estate? – Anthony ONeal
- Everyone should have some form of education. What I’m against is jeopardizing your future FOR education. – Anthony ONeal
- I didn’t get out of debt so I wouldn’t have to worry about money. I got out of debt so I could live and enjoy life. – Anthony ONeal
- The caliber of my future will be determined by the choices I make today. – Anthony ONeal
- My purpose is not to be rich. My purpose is to be a great husband, a great father, a great leader. – Anthony ONeal
- I have boundaries with my money – it’s called a budget. – Anthony ONeal
- Just because you’re on a budget doesn’t mean that you’re broke. – Anthony ONeal
- A budget gives me the freedom to focus on the things that actually matter to me. – Patrice Washington
With 60% of college graduates not even using their degrees after graduation, do you think spending $100,000+ to get that degree was worth it? If you’re a college grad, we’d love to know: 1) Do you still have student loan debt OR have you paid it off? 2) Are you using your degree? 3) If you could go back in time, would you still go to college?
Let us know in the comments below. And if you’re still struggling with student loan debt, which of the steps Anthony shared are you going to tackle first?
Redefining Wealth Rapid Wisdom Questions
And with that, let’s dig into Anthony’s responses to our Redefining Wealth Rapid Wisdom Questions.
“Purpose. As long as I’m in my purpose, then I am successful.”
Define Wealth in 3 Words or Less:
“Freedom. Choices. Peace.”
One Book that Has Redefined How You See Wealth:
Everyday Millionaires: How Ordinary People Built Extraordinary Wealth – and How You Can Too by Chris Hogan
Fill-in the Blanks … “My name is ___ and the truth about wealth is ___”:
“My name is Anthony ONeal and the truth about wealth is that wealth is different than being rich. You can be rich and have wealth OR you can be rich and not have wealth.”
To advertise on the podcast: http://www.patricewashington.com/podcastads
Become an Official Purpose Chaser: https://www.facebook.com/groups/redefiningwealthcommunity/?ref=bookmarks
Join Patrice’s Pod Club: http://www.patricespodclub.com
To check out ALL of our past guests + episodes: http://www.patricewashington.com/Listen
If you have questions about booking Patrice or sponsoring the podcast, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find me in Social Media:
Our podcast hashtag is #RedefiningWealth