Luvvie Ajayi: Rock Your Gifts
This week we’re continuing the You Deserve More series in acknowledgment of Women’s Equal Pay Day. Each year, I lead thousands of women through 20 principles that help them use their God-given gifts to earn more money. (Learn more at iwillearnmore.com)
Many of the women I know struggle with the fact that they don’t get the same respect as men. We know that’s true, because we can see it in how we get paid.
When you find out that you are getting paid less for the same thing someone else is doing, it can be a shock. Most people keep quiet. They might be too upset to say anything. They may be afraid that it will tarnish their reputation if they speak up.
The truth is, someone needs to speak up. That someone should be you, because you’re not the only one going through these things.
Standing up for yourself will create a domino effect. When others hear you speak up, it will give them the strength to do the same.
Equality starts with you.
On this episode of Redefining Wealth, I have such a sensational guest who knows all too well the importance of this: Luvvie Ajayi
Luvvie is an award-winning writer and digital strategist who thrives at the intersection of comedy, technology and activism.
A twelve-year blogging veteran, she’s the voice behind the respected and hilarious AwesomelyLuvvie.com, where she covers all things pop culture with razor sharp commentary and wit.
Her first book, I’m Judging You, was a New York times bestseller.
She’s also an amazingly powerful, and inspirational, speaker.
She sat down on this episode and shared a time when she was treated unfairly, financially, at a speaking engagement just because she is a black woman. What adds insult to injury is that they reached out to her because of her fame and popularity.
We also discussed the importance of pushing through your fears, and how you can build the best relationships right from the get got.
Hint: You don’t start by selfishly asking for something!
I know this is going to be an interview you take a lot away from. Get your pen and paper ready and then download this episode to learn how you can achieve the success you want and get the equality you deserve!“Feeling fear is not your problem...” - @Luvvie Click To Tweet
The Cliff Notes:
- Real change happens when you stand up for a movement.
- Keep your personality consistent across all platforms.
- Most of us take our gifts for granted because it comes to us naturally.
- The things you do the easiest are the things you’re best at.
- All it takes is one person to start inspiring others to step out as well.
- Being the domino doesn’t mean that you’re fearless.
- No one is fearless.
- The things we are afraid of aren’t as big as they seem.
- Losing your favorite material objects won’t kill you.
- Don’t start a conversation by asking for something.
- Make it hard for people to want to say no to you.
- Keep it simple, and make it easy for people who are doing you a favor.
- We all need to do our part to stay in our truths.
Luvvie’s Ted Talk
Shonda Rhimes: Year of Yes
FORBES article on Equal Pay
Myleik Teele’s MyTaughtYou Podcast
Pillar 2: Relationships Matter Most