T-Kea Blackman: Success Doesn’t Make You Exempt
With everything going on in the world right now it’s understandable that people are worried and scared. We’re in a time where our normalcy has been stripped from us and it doesn’t matter if you’re rich or poor or black or white. COVID-19 is no respecter of person.
Some communities are obviously more impacted by this virus than others, but we’ve seen both celebrities and everyday people stricken by it, and we know no one is exempt.
Not only is the virus detrimental to some, it’s having a catastrophic effect on our mental, physical and spiritual health. There are so many people out there who are suffering and afraid to speak up.
That’s why this rewind episode with T-Kea Blackman, author of Saved & Depressed: A Suicide Survivor’s Journey of Mental Health, Healing & Faith and owner of Fireflies Unite, a mental health media and communications company, is so important.
Join us as T-Kea and I go deep into the topic of mental health. We cover everything from T-Kea’s own struggle with depression and her attempted suicide to society’s understanding of mental health.
This episode is brought to you by the Wellness Recovery Action Plan – a 4-week online self-designed prevention and wellness training that anyone can use to get well and stay well, so they can create the life they desire.
Hosted by T-Kea Blackman, this training is for you if you’re battling burn-out, struggling with making self-care a priority, especially in a season like this, and unclear about how to detect the early warning signs of deteriorating mental health.
The Wellness Recovery Action Plan is an evidence-based practice and was initially used by health care and mental health systems all over the world to address all kinds of physical, mental health and life issues.
To find out more and claim your seat, visit firefliesunite.com/wrap.
Success Doesn’t Make You Exempt Takeaways
- I didn’t realize my desire to end my life could be linked to depression and mental health. – T-Kea Blackman
- We all have mental health. The problem is a lot of people use “mental health” and “mental illness” interchangeably and distort what each means. – T-Kea Blackman
- People assume if they have mental health – good or bad – that they have issues, but that’s not true. – T-Kea Blackman
- Depression is not a synonym for sadness. – T-Kea Blackman
- When people use depression and sadness interchangeably, it minimizes the severity of depression and can cause more damage. – T-Kea Blackman
- Sadness tends to fade away once a situation gets better, but with depression, there’s a lingering sadness that actually never leaves. – T-Kea Blackman
- If we understand that depression is truly a disability, we can have a greater level of compassion for those suffering from it. – Patrice Washington
You can’t always see someone’s mental health just by looking at them. In fact, oftentimes, it’s the high-achieving, high-functioning people who have poor mental health or are struggling with a mental illness. That’s why we need to always show compassion for those struggling and really offer support instead of judgement.
Now, let us support you. How has COVID-19 affected your work, relationships, family, etc.? How has it affected you mentally, physically and spiritually? Are you struggling with or ashamed by what you’re feeling in the wake of this pandemic?
Redefining Wealth Rapid Wisdom Questions
And with that, let’s dig into T-Kea’s responses to our Redefining Wealth Rapid Wisdom Questions.
“Walking in my God-given purpose.”
Define Wealth in 3 Words or Less:
“Wholeness and peace.”
One Book that Has Redefined How You See Wealth:
Real Money Answers for Every Woman: How to Win the Money Game With Or Without A Man by Patrice Washington
Fill-in the Blanks … “My name is ___ and the truth about wealth is ___”:
“My name is T-Kea Blackman and for me the truth about wealth is that it is contingent upon your healing and saying yes to the call.”
To advertise on the podcast: https://patricewashington.com/podcastads
Become an Official Purpose Chaser: http://www.iamapurposechaser.com
Join Patrice’s Pod Club: http://www.patricespodclub.com
To check out ALL of our past guests + episodes: https://patricewashington.com/Listen
If you have questions about booking Patrice or sponsoring the podcast, email us at email@example.com.
Find me in Social Media:
Our podcast hashtag is #RedefiningWealth