Luvvie Ajayi Jones: What Is Fear Costing You?
What is fear truly costing you? What opportunities are you missing out on?
So often we desire to be obedient and fulfill our hearts desires, yet fear pushes us down and keeps us stuck in silence. The fear of rejection, failure, judgement and for some, success, are self inflicting limitations that cost us our freedom and keeps us stagnant.
Over the years, I’ve learned that it’s not about waiting until you are fearless, it’s about moving and chasing purpose in spite of fear. Today’s guest has learned to silence her fears and push through by making more trouble. She encourages us to all become professional troublemakers and I can’t wait to give you more context in this episode.
Luvvie Ajayi Jones is a New York Times bestselling author, speaker and podcast host who thrives at the intersection of comedy, media, and justice. She’s an internationally recognized speaker who takes on dozens of stages every year around the globe, and has spoken at some of the world’s most innovative companies and conferences, including Google, Facebook, Amazon, and Twitter. She is also co-creator of the #SharetheMicNow global movement and hosts her podcast, Professional Troublemaker.
Her debut book I’m Judging You: The Do-Better Manual was released to critical acclaim, hitting the New York Times bestselling list at #5 and in this episode she is joining us to discuss her new book Professional Troublemaker: The Fear-Fighter Manual.
Key discussion points from this episode include:
- How To Properly Introduce Yourself – [04:34]
- Professional Troublemakers vs. Everyday Trolls – [8:18]
- Will You Be Proud Of Your Silence? – [10:38]
- Say Something – [17:30]
- Fear vs. Timing – [21:06]
- Build Your Squad – [33:51]
- Get A Nigerian Friend – [42:06]
- Pay Homage To The Original Professional Troublemakers – [45:37]
This episode is brought to you by our complimentary Purpose Chasers community. Want to share your aha moments with a group of like-minded purpose chasers from all over the world? Visit iamapurposechaser.com and join NOW.
What Is Fear Costing You Takeaways
- “We’re all a mess because we need to make more trouble.” – Luvvie Ajayi Jones
- “Making trouble looks like disrupting for the greater good and challenging rooms that we are in so they are elated as a result of us being in them.” – Luvvie Ajayi Jones
- “Making trouble means you’re probably on the right side of history.” – Luvvie Ajayi Jones
- “You can’t be courageous without fear of being present first.” – Luvvie Ajayi Jones
- “There is a troublemaker in all of us, but it has been abused and silenced, insulted and shunned out of us.” – Luvvie Ajayi Jones
- “If you are somebody who everybody likes, you have not said anything that it is important or of impact.” – Luvvie Ajayi Jones
- “When you have very strong values, you will repel certain people and be deeply loved by others.” – Luvvie Ajayi Jones
- “We spend a lot of time being afraid of ourselves or for ourselves, not thinking about who we are supposed to be fighting for.” – Luvvie Ajayi Jones
- “If I don’t speak up for me, then I’m also being silent for those who look like me.” – Luvvie Ajayi Jones
- “Black girls who are not famous can sell books.” – Luvvie Ajayi Jones
- “Your voice is being used in service of others.” – Luvvie Ajayi Jones
- “Fear stops us often from doing or saying what our purpose is.” – Luvvie Ajayi Jones
- “It’s already done if you just do your part.” – Patrice Washington
- “Who you used to be is necessary to who you need to become.” – Luvvie Ajayi Jones
- “Mentorship is not a relationship you can ask for, mentorship is a relationship that is organic.” – Luvvie Ajayi Jones
- “Old black women are the original professional troublemakers.” – Luvvie Ajayi Jones
Redefining Wealth Rapid Wisdom Questions
And with that, let’s dig into Luvvie’s responses to our Redefining Wealth Rapid Wisdom Questions.
“Success is living life on my own terms.”
Define Wealth in 3 Words or Less:
“Freedom of choice.”
One Book that Has Redefined How You See Wealth:
Untamed by Glennon Doyle
Fill-in the Blanks … “My name is ___ and the truth about wealth is ___”:
“My name is Luvvie Ajayi Jones and to me the truth about wealth is that it’s attainable for all of us, we just have to do scary things to get it. Scary things don’t mean bad or unethical things, but they do ask for us to be bold about our dreams, our desires and our wants without shame.”
I’m Judging You: The Do-Better Manual – Luvvie Ajayi Jones
Professional Troublemaker: The Fear-Fighter Manual – Luvvie Ajayi Jones
Join Purpose To Platform: https://patricewashington.com/purpose2platform/
To advertise on the podcast: http://www.patricewashington.com/podcastads
Become an Official Purpose Chaser: https://www.facebook.com/groups/redefiningwealthcommunity/?ref=bookmarks
To check out ALL of our past guests + episodes: http://www.patricewashington.com/Listen
If you have questions about booking Patrice or sponsoring the podcast, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find me in Social Media:
Our podcast hashtag is #RedefiningWealth