Jamie Kern Lima: You Get What You Believe
Do you feel like your business isn’t growing at the rate you hoped it would? Have you ever been told “No” or told that you weren’t the right fit for your business?
It seems like many of today’s entrepreneurs expect to achieve success overnight. They look up to media moguls who flaunt their current status of influence, but fail to reveal their growing pains and the challenges that brought them to their breakthrough. What hurts me the most is that premature purpose chasers don’t understand how many stories of success are a direct result of many years of rejection.
It make take 3-5 years before you make any money from your business or before the dream company you want to partner with considers your product. Regardless of your expected timeline, your dream should never be deferred due to finances or because companies fail to believe in you. Today’s guest is a dear friend of mine and a very successful business woman who spent three years hearing the word “No”, yet ended up landing her big break at the risk of losing her entire business.
Jamie Kern Lima started IT Cosmetics in her living room and grew the company into the largest luxury makeup brand in the country. She sold the company to L’Oréal in a billion-dollar deal and became the first female CEO of a brand in its history. Jamie is a mother of two and an active investor, speaker, and thought leader who is passionate about inspiring and elevating women. She’s also an active philanthropist who has donated over $40 million in product and funds to help women face the effects of cancer with confidence. Her love of her customers and remarkable authenticity and belief eventually landed her on the Forbes America’s Richest Self-Made Women list, and today, Jamie is here to share how she overcame years of rejection with lessons from her new book, “Believe IT: How to Go from Underestimated to Unstoppable”.
Key discussion points from this episode include:
- Sharing Life’s Lessons Through Stories – [06:30]
- Faith, Fraud, & Family Secrets – [10:24]
- 3 Years Of No’s – [17:48]
- Ten Minutes, One Shot, & Trusting Your Intuition [23:00]
- Rejection Is God’s Protection – [34:47]
- Mean Girls & Dealing With Negative Competition – [42:25]
This episode is brought to you by our complimentary Purpose Chasers community. Want to share your aha moments with a group of like-minded purpose chasers from all over the world? Visit iamapurposechaser.com and join NOW.
You Get What You Believe Takeaways
- “You cannot fake authenticity.” – Jamie Kern Lima
- “My real story is about a girl who went from not believing in herself to believing in herself.” – Jamie Kern Lima
- “If you think God created the whole universe, what makes you think he can’t handle your doubt.” – Jamie Kern Lima
- “Learning how to turn down the volume of all the noise is so important otherwise we’ll never hear our own knowing, our gut feeling, or our truth.” – Jamie Kern Lima
- “I believe every one of us has an inner knowing, a gut feeling, or a truth and most people actually never learn how to listen to it.” – Jamie Kern Lima
- “Knowing when to let go of a dream job is just as important as knowing when to go after one.” – Jamie Kern Lima
- “So many people turn the volume up on the people that love them in their circle, but the problem is it gets so loud that they end up talking themselves out of their own truth and essentially never become the person they’re born to be.” – Jamie Kern Lima
- “Sometimes we have to take the experts off the pedestal we’ve created in our minds for them and put our intuition onto one.” – Jamie Kern Lima
- “I’d rather stand for something and have no regrets, than sell a bunch of products and stand for nothing.” – Jamie Kern Lima
- “Sometimes we’re praying for things that we don’t have the capacity yet to sustain.” – Patrice Washington
- “Rejection is God’s protection” – Jamie Kern Lima
- “Painful rejections are serendipitous grace.” – Jamie Kern Lima
- “Sometimes we think our obedience is just about us, but there are so many people’s destinies connected to our obedience.” – Patrice Washington
- “Commit to the vision, but don’t become attached to how you get there.” – Patrice Washington
- “If we don’t share our truth and our stories, we rob other people that feel like they’re alone in theirs.” – Jamie Kern Lima
- “None of us are here to compete with anyone else. We’re here to compete with the person God made us capable of becoming.” – Jamie Kern Lima
- “When God puts the desire in our heart, it’s not always a right-now thing. Sometimes it’s just a preview of life’s coming attractions.” – Patrice Washington
- “You get in life what you give.” – Jamie Kern Lima
Redefining Wealth Rapid Wisdom Questions
And with that, let’s dig into Jamie’s responses to our Redefining Wealth Rapid Wisdom Questions.
“Living in flow where you know that what you’re doing aligns with who you’re called to be.”
Define Wealth in 3 Words or Less:
“Joy. Love. Peace.”
One Book that Has Redefined How You See Wealth:
Fill-in the Blanks … “My name is ___ and the truth about wealth is ___”:
“My name is Jamie Kern Lima and to me the truth about wealth is God sized dreams are possible and the God journey is going to give us all of the wealth that we need, even when we don’t see it right away, as long as we stay in faith.”
Join Purpose To Platform: https://patricewashington.com/purpose2platform/
To advertise on the podcast: http://www.patricewashington.com/podcastads
Become an Official Purpose Chaser: https://www.facebook.com/groups/redefiningwealthcommunity/?ref=bookmarks
To check out ALL of our past guests + episodes: http://www.patricewashington.com/Listen
If you have questions about booking Patrice or sponsoring the podcast, email us at email@example.com.
Find me in Social Media:
Our podcast hashtag is #RedefiningWealth