Gary Williams: The Power of a Pivot
It goes without saying that we all had big plans as to what this year would bring. We walked into 2020 with a certainty that this would be our year, but then a global pandemic emerged, followed by unprecedented job loss and one of the greatest social justice uprisings of modern times.
Although many of this year’s events were unplanned, it is important to always look for the lesson or blessing in the unknown. Today’s guest aligns with this message and believes in the power of pivoting in order to break societal barriers and redefine resilience.
Gary Williams is Co-Founder and creative powerhouse of The Creative Theory Agency – a full service marketing agency specializing in diversity consulting and cultural storytelling. Gary leads and works with a team of award winning creatives including clients such as: Google, Youtube, Under Armour, Nike, BMW, and more. His impact connects companies and communities across the globe through the creation of compelling content driven by inclusive ideas and authentic narratives.
With grace he exemplifies the power of combining art, storytelling, and support by curating virtual experiences in impactful and thoughtful ways.
Key discussion points from this episode include:
- The Creation Of The Resilience Project – [7:47]
- Amplifying Your Project By Aligning Your Mission With Sponsors – [14:49]
- The Importance Of Sharing Stories – [19:39]
- How To Handle Uncertainty – [27:20]
- Financial Literacy And The Connection Between Purpose and Wealth – [32:03]
This episode is brought to you by Capital One. I love partnering with Capital One because we both share a similar mission and message. We are both passionate about purpose and community. When I heard of their latest initiative “resilience reimagined”, I knew that I wanted to be a part of telling the inspiring stories of individuals and communities who are finding new ways to work, connect, build, and grow in this new climate. Of course, all thoughts and opinions are our own.
The Power of a Pivot Takeaways
- “Our plans might have changed, but our purpose didn’t.” – Gary Williams
- “Our purpose is still the same, we just have to change the plan.” – Gary Williams
- “Deliver the same value, but with the formats that you have available to you.” – Patrice Washington
- “Stories make way for empathy, and when we have empathy we can better coexist together and understand each other.” – Gary Williams
- “People need to see themselves in someone else’s story to know it’s possible for them.” Patrice Washingon
- “Resilience is my superpower.” – Patrice Washington
- “Resilience requires relationships.” – Patrice Washington
- “Blank slates mean opportunity.” – Gary Williams
- “We operate in an understanding that things will change, things will come and things will go, but most importantly, what’s for us is for us.” – Gary Williams
- “Be grateful for the work that we have and not broken by the work that we don’t get.” – Gary Williams
- “I do what I’m supposed to do and let God do what I can’t do.” – Gary Williams
- “I’m doing what’s naturally possible and expecting God to do what’s supernaturally impossible for me.” – Gary Williams
- “When you know your purpose you can better understand how to operate in this world financially.” – Gary Williams
- “Financial literacy and wealth is a major part of living a fulfilled life.” – Gary Williams
Redefining Wealth Rapid Wisdom Questions
And with that, let’s dig into Gary’s responses to our Redefining Wealth Rapid Wisdom Questions.
“Success is the ability to operate within your purpose without being attached to the method of how you get there ”
Define Wealth in 3 Words or Less:
“Knowledge. Investment. Savings.”
One Book that Has Redefined How You See Wealth:
The Purpose Driven Life – Rick Warren
Fill-in the Blanks … “My name is ___ and the truth about wealth is ___”:
“My name is Gary Wiliams, Jr. and to me the truth about wealth is it’s not attached to money, it’s attached to mental and spiritual health.”
To advertise on the podcast: http://www.patricewashington.com/podcastads
Become an Official Purpose Chaser: https://www.facebook.com/groups/redefiningwealthcommunity/?ref=bookmarks
To check out ALL of our past guests + episodes: http://www.patricewashington.com/Listen
If you have questions about booking Patrice or sponsoring the podcast, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find me in Social Media:
Our podcast hashtag is #RedefiningWealth