Dr. Angela Anderson: Overcoming Imposter Syndrome
We’re wrapping up the Created for Purpose challenge this week in the Redefining Wealth Facebook Group and while over 3,000 women joined in to learn how to show up authentically in the marketplace, I’ve recognized a common theme holding many back: Imposter Syndrome.
It’s that feeling that even though you are well equipped, you are still some how not worthy enough to have a seat at the table and sit there in peace.
For some of us, it manifests itself by not pursuing opportunities we are beyond qualified for. For others like me, it may show up as overworking and over preparing to prove that you do, in fact, belong.
If these ideas mildly resonate with you, you are in for a breakthrough with this episode because I’ve brought in a woman who is brilliant in helping women overcome imposter syndrome.
Dr. Angela Anderson is the US Head of Diversity and Inclusion, Strategy and Operations at Novartis Pharmaceutical Corporation, as well as, internationally certified as an executive coach, master speaker and trainer. She specializes in providing training around the world on topics such as leadership, influence, motivation, culture, communication, conflict resolution, team dynamics, and much more. She co-hosts the podcast, Just Be Real Sis, established to have real conversations on issues that have historically been difficult to discuss. To learn more: https://www.drangelaspeaks.com/
Key discussion points from this episode include:
- How Faith Contributes to Downplaying Accomplishments- [10:50]
- Be Aware of Your Thoughts – [14:24]
- Seeds of Doubt Planted by Others – [18:04]
- Why You Need Other Women – [20:06]
- Use Failures as a Lesson – Not Character Flaw – [23:46]
- Sloppy Progress – [25:31]
- What We Can Learn From Sports Stats – [28:02]
- Solidify Your Support Circle – [30:40]
- Stop Putting People In Position of Prominence Prematurely – [33:54]
This episode is brought to you by Purpose 2 Platform, a 12-week business accelerator and mentorship program that will get you clear on HOW to package your PURPOSE, communicate your PROMISE to your ideal audience, choose the best PLATFORM for your personality and lifestyle and create a PREMIUM offer. You’ll have accountability and support in a dynamic community so you can finally make progress and be ready before you even need
to pull that trigger on what’s no longer serving you. Learn more Purpose2Platform.com.
Overcoming Imposter Syndrome Takeaways
- “I can acknowledge that I’m a woman of faith and that I worked to get where I am. And then give God praise on the end.” – Dr. Angela Anderson
- “”You’re wasting time, talent and energy on things that don’t even exist.” – Dr. Angela Anderson
- “Even when I got the things, it still wasn’t enough.” – Patrice Washington
- “You can acknowledge your past without living in it. – Dr. Angela Anderson
- “The way that we help other women on the journey is to tell them the truth.” – Dr. Angela Anderson
- “Learn what you need to learn from the truth and use it as fuel.” – Dr. Angela Anderson
- “Failure is practice.” – Dr. Angela Anderson
- “Perfection is one of the things that keeps people from truly walking in purpose.” – Patrice Washington
- “We’re in God’s version of an instant replay.” – Dr. Angela Anderson
- “We applaud others and yet fail ourselves.” – Patrice Washington
- “Give yourself the same grace you give to other people.” – Dr. Angela Anderson
- “We entrust people with bits and pieces of our lives that they didn’t deserve.” – Patrice Washington
- “We want to put people in positions of prominence prematurely.” – Dr. Angela Anderson
- The world will never celebrate the wholeness of who you are as long as you continue to promote the pieces.” – Dr. Angela Anderson
Redefining Wealth Rapid Wisdom Questions
And with that, let’s dig into Marsha-Ann’s responses to our Redefining Wealth Rapid Wisdom Questions.
“Peace. If you don’t have peace everything else doesn’t matter. Anything that does not bring peace is not permissible.”
Define Wealth in 3 Words or Less:
“Family. Legacy. Impact.”
One Book that Has Redefined How You See Wealth:
Fill-in the Blanks … “My name is ___ and the truth about wealth is ___”:
“My name is Dr. Angela Anderson and the truth about wealth we have to find a way to use it to impact the world in the greatest way possible.”
Michelle Obama Video on Imposter Syndrome: https://youtu.be/dumm_XfHkmY
Be Their Walking Contradiction podcast episode: https://youtu.be/WAvuFDYyqsQ
Join Purpose To Platform: https://patricewashington.com/purpose2platform/
To advertise on the podcast: https://patricewashington.com/podcastads
Become an Official Purpose Chaser: https://www.facebook.com/groups/redefiningwealthcommunity/?ref=bookmarks
To check out ALL of our past guests + episodes: https://patricewashington.com/Listen
If you have questions about booking Patrice or sponsoring the podcast, email us at email@example.com.
Find me in Social Media:
Our podcast hashtag is #RedefiningWealth